Friday, August 21, 2009

Quote of the Day: Virginia Satir

When people are in need or are having some kind of
problem, their manifestation of themselves - the way they look and sound and talk - can be pretty ugly, pretty beautiful, or pretty painful. Underneath all this I see the living human who, I feel, would use himself or herself differently if he or she were in touch with the life that he or she is and has. So with every human being that I encounter, I mentally take off his or her outside and try to see the inside, which is the piece of the self that I call self-worth or self-esteem, and to which I have given the affectionate name "pot." This "pot" is searching for some way of manifesting itself, and I meet a person with that awareness. There is in the person that which probably he or she
has not touched. That person not only hasn't touched it-he or she doesn't even know it's there. I know it's there. This conviction in me is so strong that it is a given for me. I never ask if that person has life; I ask only how it can be touched.


- Satir, Conjoint Family Therapy (p. 246)

No comments:

Post a Comment