Sunday, August 23, 2009

Correction regarding Social Work and Nobel Prizes

I recently asked, somewhat rhetorically, "Has a social worker ever won a Nobel Prize?" The implication was no, but, well, it turns out that the answer is yes. I forgot, or maybe never really knew, that Jane Addams, considered the mother of modern Social Work and leader in the settlement house movement in the U.S., was the first woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize.

To make up for this error, I will feature some of her quotes in my "Social Work quotes of the day." But let's start out with this one:

America's future will be determined by the home and the school. The child becomes largely what he is taught; hence we must watch what we teach, and how we live.

This is a great quote. It also ties in with my recent post on education, and my upcoming post ruminating on the relative merits of family therapy.

B
ut I can't help wondering if is this true?

I wonder if America's future was really determined by the great teachers of our civilization, Television and the Internet. Maybe we should watch what TV we watch, what video games we give, and what social networks we join.

No comments:

Post a Comment